Sunday, January 25, 2009

An Unexpected Change

It is strange how you can get an idea into your head and become so set on it, so focused on that particular vision.  In December when I found out about my placement at Theatre for a Change in Accra, Ghana, that is exactly what I did.  I became completely 100% focused on that particular placement.  I became so excited that every day I needed to find out something new about Ghana or Theatre for a Change, I was thirsty for any new piece of information I could get my hands on.  However, Thursday morning my idea of what to expect this summer was shattered.  I received and email informing me that Theatre for a Change has 5 interns from the UK coming during the summer, and as a result they do not have a need for me to go.  Immediately I had that sinking feeling in my stomach, you know the feeling I am talking about.  That feeling of extreme disappointment where the bottom of your stomach drops out, and you feel a little light headed and dizzy.  If you have ever had a moment of disappointment in life, then you know exactly what i am talking about.  I had a few brief moments of disappointment, mixed with fear and anxiety over what I would be doing/where I would now be this this summer.  I allowed myself five minutes to feel panicked, stressed and upset about this unexpected turn of events before shaking some sense into myself.  What is the point of becoming upset over a change that I had no control over? What is the point of worrying about what the future will hold when yet again I have no control over it? I believe that this summer we will all experience a loss of control wherever we end up.  A sense of unpredictability and lack of stability that we are not used to in our North American lives.  We will all have to learn to give up the control we so desire to have and simply take life as it comes at us.  It is useless to sweat the things you cannot control.  So after my five minutes of self indulged freak out panic time, I pulled myself together.  I believe that all things happen for a reason.  If Theatre for a Change was no longer going to happen then there must be a reason for it.  Maybe there was something better for me somewhere in the world.  

Friday morning I received an email from WUSC informing me that the field office in Ghana had 4 possible placements for me.  The are all in the same village and through the same organization, but they are all different in there own respect.  Instead of working with Theatre for a Change this summer, I will not be working with an organization called FAWE (Forum for African Women Educationalists).  I will be stationed in a small rural village called Fotobi which it 35 km from Accra, 7 km from Nsawam (where there are many hospitals in case I have the privilege to increase my broken bone count), and 5 km from Pokrom where there is a clinic.  I have not received word back on exactly which position I will hold this summer, but I am hoping to be a Project Assistant/English Teacher at a High School.  This position will allow me to work closely with African women to address a number of issues which they feel are important, form wonderful relationships and really learn about the culture and traditions of Ghana.  I am so excited for this new opportunity and I look forward to sharing more information about it as I once again search to find every piece of information related to what my summer will bring.  
This sudden change in placement has given me a taste for the lack of control I will experience this summer.  This change has also showed me that things happen for a reason, and just because one door closes does not mean another will not be opened.  I believe that this placement is better suited for me then my previous placement and I am very excited for the new path it will take me on, and the adventure it will be this summer.  

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katie! Sorry to hear that your first choice is out of the running, but it sounds like you've got the right attitude! It's obviouse that no matter where we are placed, we will learn and experience so much, and I am sure that your new placement will be equally amazing!

    In case you didn't read Race Against Time (one of the novels we were supposed to read last term), Chapter 4 is all about Women's issues in Africa. It might provide some interesting reading and prep for the current situation women face in Africa, and help you learn a little more about how you will help the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Sorry to hear the news. I am in the same boat..if that makes you feel less alone in the situation. Unlike you though, I still don't know which country I'll be going to so I'm just assuming I'll be going to Malawi so that I can work on my presentation for this Thursday.

    But like you said, what is the point of getting upset over something I have no control over anyways? So I have also just learned to let things be and see where this is taking me.

    I hope no more broken bones for you..not sure how well that will turn out in a small rural village in Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    I am so sorry to hear that your original placement did not work out. I am very happy for you though that you already have a new placement and are able to be excited about it.
    Also, thank you for posting your thoughts on lack of control. That is definitely something we will all be facing this summer and reading your entry made me really consider too how much I take for granted the routine I have and all that I am accustomed to.
    I look forward to hearing/reading more about it as you learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouraging words you guys!

    Ruby, I am so sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as me! I really hope that you find out where you are going in the near future!! Is there a placement in Malawi that you are interested in? I have a few friends who lived in Malawi for a couple years if you ever want to find out first hand about the country. I am sure it will all work out the way that it is supposed to, but for the sake of peace of mind I hope you find out sooner rather then later about your placement!

    What an adventure this summer already is, and we have not even reached the airport yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katie. Sorry it's taken me so long to get to your blog... better late than never I suppose huh?! I really envy your ability to let go and see things positively. I have come to realize that I have been so busy being frustrated with everything that all I was doing was impeding my own happiness. Your placement sounds like a really noble cause. Do you think you could use this experience at all with your future career plans?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem Kate! I am not sure if this can help me at all in my future career plans, I want to go into trauma counseling and either work with victims of sexual assault or with the armed forces or with survivors of armed conflicts. But this placement may alter what I want to do in life, who knows =) but I am very excited to go!!

    ReplyDelete